Bible Discussion on Monday 27th November led by Donald Jacobs

 This Monday Donald Jacobs will lead a discussion considering three questions: 


1. What was the earliest part of the Bible to be written? 

2. How can we tell? 

3. Does it matter? 


We will look at a few short passages that are contenders for being the oldest parts of the Hebrew Bible.


Hosea 11


1 “When Israel was a child, I loved him,

    and out of Egypt I called my son.

2 But the more they were called,

    the more they went away from me.

They sacrificed to the Baals

    and they burned incense to images.

3 It was I who taught Ephraim to walk,

    taking them by the arms;

but they did not realize

    it was I who healed them.

4 I led them with cords of human kindness,

    with ties of love.

To them I was like one who lifts

    a little child to the cheek,

    and I bent down to feed them


Amos 5:24 But let justice roll on like a river,

    righteousness like a never-failing stream!


Exodus 15:1 Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the Lord:

“I will sing to the Lord,

    for he is highly exalted.

Both horse and driver

    he has hurled into the sea.

2 “The Lord is my strength and my defense;

    he has become my salvation.

He is my God, and I will praise him,

    my father’s God, and I will exalt him.

3 The Lord is a warrior;

    the Lord is his name.

4 Pharaoh’s chariots and his army

    he has hurled into the sea.

The best of Pharaoh’s officers

    are drowned in the Red Sea.

5 The deep waters have covered them;

    they sank to the depths like a stone.

6 Your right hand, Lord,

    was majestic in power.

Your right hand, Lord,

    shattered the enemy.


Judges 5:1 On that day Deborah and Barak son of Abinoam sang this song:

2 “When the princes in Israel take the lead,

    when the people willingly offer themselves—

    praise the Lord!

3 “Hear this, you kings! Listen, you rulers!

    I, even I, will sing to[a] the Lord;

    I will praise the Lord, the God of Israel, in song.

4 “When you, Lord, went out from Seir,

    when you marched from the land of Edom,

the earth shook, the heavens poured,

    the clouds poured down water.

5 The mountains quaked before the Lord, the One of Sinai,

    before the Lord, the God of Israel.


Join us at 6.30pm on Monday 27th November.

Zoom link for the meeting 

https://us06web.zoom.us/j/82378042367

Meeting ID: 823 7804 2367

Passcode: 460019



Comments